7.5 miles, 7 transitions and 4 000 ft of elevation gain
Skiers and snowboarders with gear weighting over 12 pounds (skis, bindings and boots or splitboard and boots) can subscribe in the ski-rando / splitboard category and will have their own classification and podium.
NorthWoods Stewardship Center's mission is "to connect people and place, through science, education and action." Our goal is to develop stewards of natural resources, by building outdoors skills, teaching about natural history, and sharing our passion to connect with the outdoors.
Download the event poster:
- Online registration closes 24h before the event.
- Additional fees of 10$ will be charged for on-site registration .
- Burke Backcountry adventure is part of Smartwool-SkimoEast championship.
- Multiple participation prices, including a 2017 season pass at Burke
- Distance : about 7.5 miles.
- Elevation gain : 4 000 + ft.
- Distance : about 2.5 miles.
- Elevation gain: 2 000 ft.
The following course description refers to the below image. Green lines means skin ascent, red lines are descents and yellow line is the boot-pack. Numbers represents the race course order.
The start is in the Sherburne lodge parking (1) and consist of a sprint run to the skis.
Skin up in the wood all the way to the summit(2) and ski down in the middle to Mid-Burke lodge(3), finish line of the short course.
Long course athlete will then skin up to the boot-pack transition(4), run up to boot-pack to skin transition(5) and finally skin up to the summit(6).
Ski down on the left side to Mid-Burke lodge (7).
One last climb to the boot-pack transition(8) and ski down to the finish line at Mid-Burke lodge.
Sunday February 5, 2017
- 9h - Registration
- 10h - Race start from Sherburne base lodge
Many participation prices courtesy of our sponsors!
2016 race results: